Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Trip to India (July 5th to July 14th)

Today is August 5th, and I came back from India yesterday night at around 11:00 pm. The next few entries that I post will detail out my trip to India. This will be a quick run down. Not much detail. I wrote down everything I did each day in a notebook so it would easier to write in the blog when I came back. I have lots of pictures taken at Delhi, Agra, Coimbatore, and Kerala. At Coimbatore, I volunteered at Sankara Eye Hospital for 3 weeks. My trip lasted from July 4th to August 4th. I have some interesting experiences and pictures from that time period as well.

So, lets start. Date is July 4th. I'm on United Airlines Flight from Newark to Delhi, non-stop. I sleep for 12 out of the fourteen hours. The travel goes by pretty fast. We land in Delhi and meet my mom and sister who have been in India for a month at Red Fox Hotel. On July 6th, we visit the Taj Mahal in Agra. It was a hot day. I was constantly pouring water on my head in order to prevent heatstroke and nosebleeds. But it was well worth it. The Taj Mahal is extremely beautiful. I will say it is the most astounding building I have ever seen. And to think it was built so long ago. Most of these photos from this experience are on Facebook.

After visiting the Taj Mahal on July 6th, we made our way back to Delhi on the seventh. We visited a few temples today and also saw the Secretariat Building and the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the residence of the president of India. It is the largest residence of any president in the world. Seeing that, made me extremely proud to be an Indian. We also saw the India Gate and the Qutab Minar on this day.

The eight was kind of a free day. We saw a private museum created by an artist named Shams. He made 3-D art with clothing. The name for this type of art style is called Zardozi. Each of the works that Shams worked on took at least 6 or 7 years. This private museum was completely and utterly astounding. I loved the work and the detail that was put into the tapestries. Visit this website, if you want more information on this artist. http://www.shamsembroidery.com/main1.html
Unfortunately, we could not take any pictures of his work. But it left a great impression on me.

On the ninth, we left for Chennai. My mother would be leaving India at Chennai on the 10th. So the rest of our family accompanied her there just to spend some more time with her. The greatest experiences we had in Chennai were mostly food-based. We ate the world famous thalappakati biryani. SOO GOOD. We also saw the flat that my father bought. It was a nice small flat on the tenth floor in the center of Chennai. Very good land and area. About 10 minutes from the airport. I was surprised at the infrastructure in Chennai. It was nothing like the infrastructure we found at Delhi. It was very modern and reminded a lot of American highways.

On the 11th, my mother parted ways from us. She made her way back to the United States and the rest of us made our way to Trivandrum to see my dad's side of the family. We stayed in a beach front hotel in Kovallum. It was a very nice hotel and the view was spectacular. We could hear the ocean roar at night and it was slightly unsettling. A good picture is below.


After Trivandrum we headed to Palakad to visit my great uncle for two days and then finally made our way Coimbatore on July 13th. I will start my volunteership with Jwala (my sister) on July 14th. We slept a lot in those two days. But it was fun and relaxing after a week or so of constant traveling.

I will discuss my stay in Coimbatore in my post tomorrow. There are a lot of pictures to be shared and a lot of cool experiences that I will be discussing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment